My student lives with me but my former spouse claims him/her on the tax return. Can I be the custodial parent?

Yes, in fact, who claims the student on a tax return has no real bearing on who is the custodial parent for financial aid purposes. The parent with whom the student lives with the majority of the time in the twelve months leading up to submitting the form is the custodial parent. Here is a link to a graphic that can help you determine who is should file the FAFSA. Remember, whoever is the custodial parent for FAFSA will also be the custodial parent for the CSS Profile purposes.

Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No